Pete Resnick's Home Page
This is my work home page. For more information about me and the rest of my life, see my
personal web site.
I work for Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. (a subsidiary of Qualcomm Incorporated), a company in San
Diego, California (though I live and work out of my house in Urbana, Illinois). I used to write Qualcomm's
Eudora e-mail program for the Macintosh. Now, I
work for the Office of the Chief Scientist. I've participated in assorted research
projects, and do some teaching to engineers on using open source in Qualcomm products,
but most of my time I spend working with the Internet
Engineering Task Force (IETF). Below are some things I've worked on at the IETF and
elsewhere, as well as some links to other information about Qualcomm.
- Applications Area Director of the Internet Engineering Steering Group (IESG)
- 2011 - Present
- Member of the Internet Architecture Board (IAB)
- 2002 - 2004
- Chair of the Application Exchange (APEX) Working Group
- 2000 - 2003
- Chair of the Blocks Extensible Exchange Protocol (BEEP)Working Group
- Chair of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension (IMAPEXT) Working Group
- 1999 - 2008
- Chair of the Usenet Article Standard Update (USEFOR) Working Group
- Chair of the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP) Working Group
- 2002 - 2004
- Chair of the Formal State Machine (FSM) "Birds of a Feather" (BOF)
- March 2007
- Chair of the Internationalizing Email Address (IEA) "Birds of a Feather" (BOF)
- November 2003, March 2004
- Chair of the Procedures Update for IETF (PUFI) "Birds of a Feather" (BOF)
- March 2008
- Chair of the Web Authentication Enhancement (WAE) "Birds of a Feather" (BOF)
- July 2006
- S. Dorner, P. Resnick, "Remote Mail Checking Protocol", 29 June 1992. Status:
- P. Resnick, A. Walker, "The text/enriched MIME Content-type", 19 February 1996.
Status: Informational. Also available: PostScript format, PDF format, HTML
format, XML to RFC format.
- P. Resnick, Editor, "Internet Message Format", 24 April 2001. Status: Proposed
- P. Resnick, P. Saint-Andre, Ed. "Report of the 2004 IAB Messaging Workshop",
February 2006. Status: Informational. Also available: HTML format, XML to RFC
- P. Resnick, "Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP) CATENATE Extension", April
2006. Status: Proposed Standard. Also available: HTML format, XML to RFC
- C. Hutzler, D. Crocker, P. Resnick, E. Allman, T. Finch, "Email Submission Operations: Access and Accountability Requirements", November 2007. Status: Best Current Practice (BCP 134). Also available: HTML format, XML to RFC
- P. Resnick, Editor, "Internet Message Format", October 2008. Status: Draft
Standard. Also available: HTML format, XML to RFC
- P. Resnick, C. Newman, "IMAP Support for UTF-8", March 2010. Status: Experimental. Also available: HTML format (local copy) and XML to RFC format (local copy)
- P. Resnick, P. Hoffman, "Mapping Characters in Internationalized Domain Names in Applications (IDNA) 2008", September 2010. Status: Informational.
- A. Farrel, P. Resnick, "Sanctions Available for Application to Violators of IETF IPR Policy", August 2012. Status: Informational.
- P. Resnick, "On Consensus and Humming in the IETF", 18 March 2013. Status: Internet Draft.
World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) Documents I've Written
Conventions for use of HTML in email
- E. Berman, P. Resnick, N. Shelness, "HTML Threading: Conventions for use of HTML in
email", 5 January 1998. Status: NOTE.